"I Know What Comfort Is"


He said “I know what comfort is”
“It’s the thing that sits
Inside your heart
And makes nary a peep”
And then I began to weep.
He said “I know how pain feels more,
“The closing of all opened doors
Tearing at you desperate for more
Clawing, gnawing, at your hope
Until you feel yourself begin to choke”

I said to him “dear let’s not pretend
You and death aren’t more than friends
Lets find ourselves a place here,
Invite your friend tragedy out for a beer,
And think about what we’ve got
How funny it is that the life we both sought
Ended up here”
I said with a queer little smile on my face
Hiding the pain I was trying to erase
That a man who has known comfort
Only in unrequited stupor
Must be required to fight like a brave little soldier
And my soul wrenched in two
As I realized we both knew
In a way we really weren’t supposed to
At that age,
What it felt like to fade away.

Comments

Popular Posts