To The God I Once Believed In


To The God I Once Believed In

I’m sorry I’m a heathen
I really wanted to believe in heaven
Guess we see where that got me;
Unhappy on the daily
We’re so unshocked by hypocrisy
You don’t understand the irony
In telling me
It’s meant to be
Except if I sin unconditionally.
But what is sin
But stuff you believe in
That just isn’t God?
Spare me your judgment and
Spare me your rod…

I wanted to believe in you.
I really, really wanted to.
I went to church, I watched the news
Shared my right wing conservative views
Felt prejudice against my sisters
Coming in wide ranges of colors
And yet you never spoke to me.
Not a “hi” nor “how you been”
And not what I wanted more than such mention:
A bit of advice,
A scrap of direction.
You never once told me the secret to life
And in my heart I hold on to that strife.

I was so unhappy
Being Christian,
But also being me
Every day the things I wanted
Made me feel disgusting
And twas you who put that hate in me
For myself, o loveless being
Of love, what more did you want
Of my own self worth what was there left to haunt
And in my heart so gaunt
You found yourself a hole,
Created by you when all is said and told
And told me your love could fill
the void you helped fulfill.

Sin is the thing that makes you feel ugly
I’m sure even conservative Christians agree.
Sin is that disgust that crawls from your belly
Doing the thing anyway can be hellish
Sin is what you do despite having
The morals to understand what you’re attracting
Karma or God, it’s all up to you
To choose which kind of reputation you accrue.
And I think to myself
My own personal hell
Was thinking you were in any way there
For me when I was scared
Or hurt or even broken
You love was always so unspoken
But never really there

Was it?

Was I just delusional?
Tricking myself into a communal
Distrust of reality and vision
Just to get into some white man’s dream of heaven?

I guess I want to thank you
I suppose it was only through
the promised things you don’t do
That I was able to split apart
From my own bleeding heart.
This letter isn’t communion
it’s my last communication
To a God who never loved me
As much as I had room to love thee

It’s Easter now,
And people celebrate
The rise of the one
Their belief creates
And I think it’s a tragedy
But nonetheless a story
Of people quite in mourning
Of the God who never
Once
Spoke


Comments

Popular Posts